View of Alburnett from the north...

Frequently Asked Questions


When do I need a building permit?
  • A building permit is needed for for any and all new buildings over 200 square feet. A permit is needed for installation of electrical systems, including alterations, repairs, replacement, equipment, appliance, fixtures, fittings and appurtenances. There are some exemptions from a permit and it is recommended that you contact the City for the latest information on these.
I would like to put a swimming pool in our I need a fence?
When putting up a fence, do I need a permit?
  • Yes, a permit is required and can be obtained from the City Clerk. You will also be asked to submit a drawing of the fence and when applicable, obtain approval of the fence by your immediate neighbors. For additional guidance, please see the City of Alburnett, Iowa - Ordinances Page.
What are the rates for City Water and Sewer service?

Water, Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water Rate Structure

Eff. July 1, 2016

Base Rate - Water


Per 1000 gal charge


Base Rate - Sanitary Sewer


Per 1000 gal charge

Storm Water fee per month $2.50

I have a street light out...who should I call?
  • Contact Alliant Energy at 786-4406 to report your outage.
Is there a location I can dispose of my grass clippings and leaves?
  • Yes, a compost pile is available for public use located at 307 Howard Street by the city Maintenance shop. Only grass clippings and leaves should be added. Once it has turned to compost, residents will be able to use the compost free of charge. Please be sure not to put any paper, plastic etc. in the compost area.
Is there a burning ban in the city limits?
How do I discuss something with the City Council?
  • You will need to contact the City Clerk no later than 4:00 p.m. on the Monday prior to the next City Council meeting. If you have any information you would like the Council to review prior to the meeting, it must be received by the Clerk by the deadline stated above so it can be included in the Council packets.
Where do I vote?
  • The Alburnett Methodist Church, Main Ave. is the general and school election polling place for the Otter Creek Township, which includes the city of Alburnett. Voter Registration
I would like to run for City Council - What do I need to do?
  • Per State of Iowa Code, Section 376.1, a city shall hold a regular city election on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each odd-numbered year (i.e. 2009, 2011, 2013). A Nomination Petition can be obtained at the City Clerk's office, usually by mid- August, per State of Iowa Code 376.4.
  • The petition must be filed not more than seventy-one days and not less than forty-seven days before the date of the election, and must be signed by eligible electors equal in number to at least two percent of those who voted to fill the same office at the last regular city election, but not less than ten persons. (Only 10 signatures required on a petition for the City of Alburnett's Mayor/City Council petition)
  • Nomination petitions shall be filed not later than five o'clock p.m. on the last day for filing. When a Nomination Petition is taken out all the dates and deadlines are listed for that year's election.
Additional Information for Our Citizens